Wednesday 30 October 2013

Blog Post #14

Okay, I lied. If I do this exercise, I only have six more exercises to do tomorrow!

This is going to be me at the end of November, too: extremely tired and unable to use capital letters, but still determined to write just that little bit more and get to the end.

The next exercise is about creating distinctive voices for your characters. You can find the exercises here.

I did the first one - the Sitcom exercise - for all my main characters. I really liked this exercise, and the discussion beforehand was really helpful too. Some of the stuff it mentioned - about knowing your characters well enough to know what they would say - would be a lot easier once you'd done the character worksheets, for example. I definitely noticed that the characters I'd done worksheets for were a lot easier to write dialogue for.

I agreed with a lot of what the blog post linked above said - I often feel like I'm just writing from my point of view, and that I'm not inside my characters' heads. This exercise really helped me think about how I could get inside their heads, and I definitely think this exercise will improve my writing.

It's also something I've never done before, so I'll definitely need a lot of practice. I'm also going to give the other exercises a go at some point (i.e. post NaNoWriMo, when I've got a chance to write anything with quality again).

And time to stop for today - only six exercises to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment